Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, if you're planning to travel by commercial plane,
you must show a REAL ID compliant license or identification card (ID) at the airport, or
comply with TSA by providing additional and
accepted documentation including increased
security checks which may cause delay.
Don't fret! We're here to help you discover if an Iowa REAL ID compliant license or ID is
right for you.
What is REAL ID?
REAL ID is a federal act focusing on anti-terrorism, fraud protection, and
security specific to the production of driver's licenses and ID cards that control access to
- Federal facilities requiring identification to enter.
- Federally regulated commercial aircraft.
- Nuclear power facilities.
Find out more about the REAL ID Act.
IS A REAL ID CREDENTIAL THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ME?
REAL ID does not:
- Invalidate your state issued driver’s license or ID card.
- Affect using a driver’s license or ID card for usual purposes, such as
driving, renting a vehicle, writing a check, purchasing alcohol or
tobacco, or entering a casino.
You may not need a REAL ID compliant license or ID card if you
- Do not fly and do not plan to enter certain federal facilities, such as military bases and
nuclear power plants.
- Have an acceptable alternative to a state-issued REAL ID compliant driver’s license or ID
card, such as a valid U.S. passport.
HOW DO I GET A REAL ID-COMPLIANT CARD?
Great! You've decided a REAL ID driver's license or ID is the right choice for you. So what's
next? Follow these simple and helpful tips below.