Section 4154. Fence Materials
C. Inspection and acceptance of fence materials will be according to Materials I.M. 454.10.
1. Type Z, Class 3.
2. Design numbers 1047-6-11 or 939-6-11 for grade 60 wire or design numbers 1047-6-12 1/2 or 939-6-12 1/2 for grade 125 wire.
3. Use galvanized (as determined by visual inspection) steel rod for splicing fence material.
1. 12.5 gauge wire according to ASTM A 116 (excluding wire spacing and fence height).
2. Wires are spaced horizontally and vertically as shown in the contract documents or closer.
1. Zinc coated fabric meeting requirements of ASTM A 392, Class 2 (2.0 ounces per square foot (610 g/m2)) or AASHTO M 181 Type I, Class D.
2. Aluminum coated fabric meeting the requirements of ASTM A 491 or AASHTO M 181, Type II.
3. PVC coated fabric meeting requirements of ASTM F 668, Class 2b or AASHTO M 181, Type IV, Class B Fused.
1. 9 gauge coated wire with a breaking strength of 1290 pounds (5.740 kN).
2. Height of fabric of 72 inches (1.8 m).
3. Selvage knuckled at both the top and bottom.
4. Mesh size 2 +/- 1/8 inches (50.8 +/- 3.18 mm).
Unless otherwise specified in contract documents, use barbed wire conforming to AASHTO M 280, Design Number 12-4-5-14R, Type Z Class 3.
1. ASTM A 817, Type II, Class 3.
2. ASTM A 121, Type Z, Class 3 zinc coated or aluminum coated.
3. ASTM A 817, Type I.
4. ASTM F 1664, PVC (Vinyl) Coated, Class 2b.
B. Brace and tie wire shall meet the requirements of ASTM F 626 zinc coated or aluminum coated.
1. Where specified, round metallic-coated tie wires, clips, and hog rings shall be polymer coated to match the color of the chain-link fabric as selected from ASTM F 934
2. The coating process and metallic-coated core wire materials shall be in accordance with ASTM F 668.
Table 4154.05-1: Wire Sizes
Tie wires or clips for fastening field fence to steel posts
No. 7 (4.49 mm)
No. 9 (3.76 mm)
No. 12 (2.68 mm)
Use tie wires for chain link fence no smaller than No. 9 (3.76 mm) diameter for post ties or No. 12 (2.68 mm) diameter for rail and brace ties. Equivalent steel clips or aluminum wires or clips may be used if the Engineer approves.
A. Unless otherwise specified in the contract documents, use fence staples conforming to ASTM F 1667 - 13, Table 57: F 1667 ST FN - 06 Z.
B. Obtain Engineer’s approval for the staples to be used.
Table 4154.07-1: Post Sizes and Lengths
Length, feet (meters)
Line posts, 4 inch (100 mm) top
End, corner, gate, pull, angle, and brace posts, 6 inch (150 mm) top
7 (2.1 m)
8 (2.4 m)
1. 2 3/8 inch (60.3 mm) SS-40 steel pipe.
2. 5 inch (127 mm) diameter wood posts.
E. Completely paint the finished post with a prime coat with no limitation on color or tip identification except as provided for 1000 foot (300 m) installations. Ensure the paint is thoroughly dry before posts are bundled for shipment.
1. Grade 1 (ASTM F 1083); minimum average zinc coating weight of 1.8 ounces per square foot (549 g/m2).
2. Grade 2 (ASTM F 1043, Group I-C); external zinc coating minimum of 0.9 ounces per square foot (275 g/m2) and internal zinc coating minimum 0.9 ounces per square foot (275 g/m2).
B. When specified, PVC thermoplastic coating shall be fused and adhered to zinc-coated posts with a minimum coating thickness of 0.010 inch (0.254 mm) conforming to ASTM F 934 & ASTM F 1043 Sections 7 and 8.
1. Attach braces to posts using fittings which will hold both the post and brace rigidly.
2. Use diagonal truss rods of 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) diameter, round steel rods with an appropriate commercial means for tightening.
3. Furnish a locknut or other device to hold the tightening device in place.
4. Furnish a suitable sleeve or coupling device, recommended by the manufacturer, to connect sections of top rail and to provide for expansion and contraction.
5. Use stretcher bars no less than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) diameter, or equivalent cross section area, with suitable clamps for attaching fabric to corner, end, or gate posts.
1. Ensure gates provide the width of opening shown in the contract documents. Install a vertical stay in gates more than 6 feet (1.8 m) wide. Where the width of opening specified is:
· 16 feet (5 m) or less, provide a single gate frame.
· More than 16 feet (5 m), provide two gate frames using a drop bar locking device allowing operation as a double gate.
2. Ensure each gate is furnished complete with necessary hinges, latch, and other special fittings recommended for the type of gate and gate post being installed.
3. For chain link fence gates, use the pipe size shown in the contract documents or approved by the Engineer. When size is not shown in the contract documents, use:
· 1 1/2 inch (40 mm) nominal diameter pipe for gates 6 feet (1.8 m) wide or more, and
· 1 1/4 inch (30 mm) nominal diameter pipe for gates less than 6 feet (1.8 m) wide.
4. Use gate fabric similar to that used for the
fence. Attach using stretcher bars.
5. Use adjustable rods to cross truss gates 6 feet (1.8 m) wide or more.
6. Ensure materials are galvanized with no less than 0.8 ounce per square foot (244 g/m2) of surface. Gates for field fence may be painted with a prime coat and an enamel finish coat.
Furnish the following, galvanized according to Article 4154.10:
1. Tines molded in one piece of steel with no welds.
2. Structural steel tubes with wall thickness of 0.1875 inches (4.75 mm) and unit weight of 4.32 pounds per foot (6.43 kg/m).
3. Support plates, hinges, and top braces.