2.0 liter diesel engines
- Buy back/Emissions modification ($10 billion): Volkswagen must remove from commerce in the United States or perform an approved emissions modification on at least 85 percent of the affected 2.0 liter vehicles by June 2019. If they fail to reach the recall rate, Volkswagen must pay additional funds into the national mitigation trust in an amount equal to $85 million for each percentage point by which it fell short of the national target (California’s settlement differs from this).
- Volkswagen must offer owners and lessees the opportunity to have their vehicles bought back at a fair replacement value of the vehicle as of Sept. 17, 2015, or to have their leases terminated at no cost. This option will be available for two years.
- If an emissions modification is approved, Volkswagen must provide consumers with an emissions modification disclosure that the modified vehicle will also be covered by an extended warranty covering the emissions control system. On Jan. 6, 2017, the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board approved an emissions modification system proposed by Volkswagen that will reduce the excess nitrogen oxides emissions from the generation 3 diesel 2.0 liter vehicles.
- Get more information
- Zero-Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Investment Commitment ($2 billion): Volkswagen is required to spend $2 billion in investments over a 10-year period to support ZEV infrastructure, access to ZEVs, and ZEV education in the United States. California will receive $800,000. The remaining $1.2 billion will be part of a national plan in which Volkswagen is required to spend $300 million every 30 months. Find more information on the ZEV commitment.
- Environmental Mitigation Trust ($2.7 billion): Volkswagen is required to pay a total of $2.7 billion to fund defined eligible mitigation actions that will reduce nitrogen oxides emissions "where the 2.0 liter subject vehicles were, are, or will be operated." This plan, along with the eligible mitigation actions, is described in more detail.