*Please note there are different requirements depending upon plate choice. Be sure to review the specific information for each plate.
The bottom portion of the application must be certified by the secretary or treasurer of The Iowa Professional Fire Fighters that the applicant is a member in good standing with the International Association of Fire Fighters and the Iowa Professional Fire Fighters. This certification is only required on the initial application.
For certification, send the completed application to:
The Iowa Professional Fire Fighters
PO Box 547
Des Moines, IA 50125
More information is available at The Iowa Professional Fire Fighters' website: www.iowapff.org.
Sport utility vehicles
Trailers and travel trailers
- $50 initial fee
- $5 annual validation fee at time of renewal
- Annual registration renewal fee
Personalized license plates may consist of up to five characters and numbers. All personalized plate choices must have at least two characters.
- No punctuation marks are allowed.
- No denoting a government agency (i.e., DOT).
- No display of characters that are sexual in connotation.
- No characters suggesting profane, obscene, or inflammatory words or phrases, or those contrary to public policy.
- No characters or words defined in dictionaries as a term of vulgarity, contempt, prejudice, hostility, insult, or racial or ethnic degradation.
- No characters considered to be offensive.
- No characters that conflict with the regular license numbering system.
- Recognized as a swear word.
- Reference to an illegal substance or criminal act.
- Any foreign word falling in any of these categories.
- No duplicate combination of characters.
- No zeros.
- Cannot be all numbers.
|How to apply
||Special Plate Application
Return completed, certified application to the following address.
Office of Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9278
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9278
Your plates will be sent to your county treasurer's office and staff will notify you when your plates are available. Plates must be assigned to a vehicle within 90 days or the plates will be voided and no refund issued. Your current plates must be exchanged for your new plates.