****THIS IS A NEW APPENDIX. – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.****
Aluminum Light Poles shall meet the requirements of ASTM B221, Alloy 6061, T6 temper or the requirements of ASTM B229, Alloy 6061, T6 temper for extruded structural pipe and tube and ASTM B209, Alloy 5086, temper H34 for aluminum alloy sheet and plate and the requirements of article 4185 of the standard specifiedtions. Anodizing shall be performed in accordance with the requirements of ASTM D3933
Welding and Welding Requirements
The phosphoric acid anoding of aluminum and its alloy for structural adhesive bonding shall be performed in accordance with the requirements of ASTM D3933 by an approved processing facility. Anodizing steps processing shall be submitted for review and approval by the engineer.
The following area guidelines for state inspectors to follow for inspection and monitoring purposes.
1. Surface preparation shall be performed in separate/ dry/ facility for the purpose of anodizing only. The preparation of the metallic substrates to obtain surface with acceptable characteristics is a crucial step.
2. Great care must be exercised in the selection of the proper materials and the preparation of the surfaces of the components to be bonded.
3. Air lines or ducts shall have filters or traps or both for the removal of moisture, dust airborne dust and oil from the lines or the ducts.
4. The phosphoric acid anodizing tank shall be lined and shall be equipped with surface skimming device to remove surface contamination, and a filtering system as well as agitation system for mixing the tank contents.
5. Adequate electrical system to maintain a study voltage (± 1.0 Volt DC)
6. Rinse tanks shall be adequate to handle the rinsing process.
7. The makeup water and rinse water tanks shall not contain more than the recommended upper limit for fluoride and dissolved chemicals (1.7 ppm-fluoride, 500 ppm total dissolved solids). Except that chloride shall not exceed 25 ppm and the ph shall be between 5.5 and 8.0. Tthe treating facility must provide verification of test to the state.
Note: most potable water can meet the above indicated requirements.
8. Rinsing may be by spray or by immersion
9. Once the materials (the complete fabricated poles) are racked for alkaline cleaning, it cannot be touched and it cannot be delayed prior to anodizing.
10. Should electric current fail or otherwise be interrupted during the phosphoric acid anodizing, the anodizing may be continued for 20 – 30 minutes provided the electric current can or be re-established within the period of two minutes, then rinse and reprocess starting with the deoxidizer.
11. The adhesive primer shall be applied within 72 hours after oven drying following the phosphoric acid anodizing.
12. Parts priming shall be performed as soon as possible to minimize the possibility of contamination.