Meet Our Staff
Thomas L. Reis, P.E.
- Coordinates the specifications functions for the Department, and provides liaison between the department, FHWA, state legislature, and the construction industry regarding specification issues.
- Coordinates the Specification Committee, which reviews recommendations for specification changes and oversees implementation of those changes.
- Serves as the liaison for the Iowa Statewide Urban Specifications and Design (SUDAS) group.
- Serves on various other task forces and committees for the department.
Assistant Specifications Engineer
Eric Johnsen, P.E.
- Reviews/writes Supplemental Specifications and Developmental Specifications, checking for accuracy and compliance with Iowa DOT and federal requirements.
- Compiles revisions to the General Supplemental Specification to update/revise the Standard Specifications semi-annually.
- Prepares minutes of all Specification Committee meetings, including joint meetings with industry associations.
- Attends and makes presentations at the Iowa DOT and industry conferences.
- Coordinates specification automation needs.
- Edits the new Standard Specification Books for publishing.
Emily T. Whaley
- Maintains the electronic reference library (ERL) and oversees its publication.
- Produces the opening page and graphic portions of the ERL CD, General Supplemental Specification cover, and ERL CD label.
- Prepares special provisions, supplemental specifications, and general supplemental specifications for printing and publication for each contract letting, and converts them to HTML for inclusion in the ERL.
- Maintains a listing of the specifications being published for each letting (except Local Systems projects).
- Updates and maintains the master copy of the Standard Specification Book and coordinates its printing, binding, and publication.
- Serves as web developer.