Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act and environmental review of state listed species for federal-aid projects
As project sponsor, local public agencies (LPAs) must review their actions and determine whether the action may affect state and federally listed and proposed endangered species; or proposed or designated critical habitat. To accomplish this, request a list of species and critical habitat that may be in the project area from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and review the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service website.
Once the species lists are obtained, the LPA will determine whether their actions may affect any of those species or their critical habitat. If no species or their critical habitat is affected, no further consultation is required. If they may be affected, consultation with the USFWS and coordination with the Iowa DNR is required.
- Section 7 Instructional Memorandum 3.111
- Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act (informational Powerpoint)
The following information will assist in carrying out these requirements:
- Iowa DNR Letter Template – request for a list of state species/critical habitat
- USFWS Website – review for a list of federally listed species/critical habitat
- Determination of Effect (DOE) – form to be completed after receiving the DNR list and after evaluating USFWS website information
Habitat assessments should be completed by individuals with a natural resource degree or equivalent work experience, such as a consultant or county conservation board.
- USFWS website: Describes habitat requirements of federal species
- Iowa DNR website: – Describes habitat requirements of state species
- Iowa DNR (consultation) letter template: Submit and report the finding of effect to state species/critical habitat.
- USFWS Consultation Letter: The Iowa DOT will complete USFWS consultation and report the finding of effect to federal species/critical habitat.