Iowa motor vehicle enforcement officer duties
A motor vehicle enforcement officer is a peace officer whose primary duty is to enforce all state and federal regulations that apply to commercial vehicles travelling Iowa's roadways. Some of the laws enforced relate to the following.
- State and federal motor carrier safety regulations
- State and federal hazardous materials regulations
- Driver qualifications/driver licensing
- Vehicle registration
- Overweight and over-dimensional vehicles
- Fuel tax compliance
- Shipping papers
- Travel authority
- Liability insurance
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Inspecting commercial vehicles and drivers to determine compliance with state and federal laws relating to driver qualification, hours of service, driver licensing, vehicle size, weight and vehicle safety compliance.
- Enforcing traffic laws to promote safety, reduce crashes and expedite traffic flow.
- Assisting other law enforcement officers when requested or when situation dictates.
- Preparing and testifying in court to present the facts surrounding any civil, criminal or departmental action.