Each year, interstate carriers, leasing companies, brokers, and freight forwarders who cross the state line while operating a self-propelled or towed vehicle on highways in commerce that meets one of the conditions listed below are required to obtain a Unified Carrier Registration (UCR).
Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
- It has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of at least 10,001 pounds, whichever is greater.
- It is designed to transport more than 10 passengers, including the driver.
- It is transporting USDOT-regulated hazardous material that requires placarding.
The enforcement date to register for a 2014 UCR is: Jan. 1, 2014. Failing to file and pay the registration fee can result in a citation and fine.
Filing for a UCRIn as little as 10 minutes, carriers can renew and pay for their UCR from any computer or smartphone with Internet access. Before you start, be sure you:
- Know the USDOT number.
- Have a credit card or checkbook available.
- Are aware that the computer session will timeout if there is significant idle time. If that happens, close the Internet window and begin the process again.
View Instructions for completing the UCR registration, updating the USDOT number, or inactivating the USDOT number.
If you do not want, or are unable, to use the method listed above, please call the FMCSA Support Services line at 800-832-5660 during regular business hours (EST).
Begin your UCR registration process at www.ucr.in.gov