MVD banner

Iowa's temporary restricted license (TRL) - work permit

If you are a resident of Iowa and your Iowa driver's license has been revoked, suspended or barred, you may be eligible for a temporary restricted license (TRL) allowing you to drive for specific reasons and during specified times.

You can apply for a temporary restricted license for the following.

  • Employment (work permit)
  • Health care - for you or a dependent
  • Child care
  • Continuing education
  • Substance abuse treatment
  • Court-ordered community service
  • Probation or parole officer appointments

To apply for a temporary restricted license, you will need to complete an Application for Temporary Restricted License. If you meet all requirements, you will be sent a notice that your application has been approved. You must then take the notice to a DOT driver's license station where you may be required to:

For complete information regarding your eligibility for a temporary restricted license, contact:

Office of Driver Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204

Telephone: 515-244-9124 or 515-244-8725
Toll-free in Iowa: 800-532-1121
Fax: 515-239-1837