Proof of Iowa residence
If you have just moved to Iowa, all applicants must provide proof of residency to be considered for driver licensing and vehicle registration.
You are considered an Iowa resident when you have done at least one of the following:
- Filed for a homestead tax exemption on property in Iowa.
- As a veteran, you have filed for a military tax exemption on property in Iowa.
- Registered to vote in Iowa.
- Enrolled children to be educated in a public elementary or secondary school in Iowa.
- Qualified for and are receiving public assistance from Iowa.
- You have accepted employment or engage in any trade, profession or occupation within this state.
- You have resided or have continuously remained in this state for a period exceeding 30 days except for infrequent or brief absences.
Acceptable items to certify your Iowa residency include:
- Iowa voter registration card.
- An Iowa vehicle registration certificate.
- Utility bill showing 30 days of residency.
- A statement from an Iowa financial institution showing 30 days of residency.
- Rental or lease agreement showing 30 days of residency.
- Pay check or pay stub from an Iowa employer.
- Children's school enrollment papers.
- Documentation showing a filing for homestead or military tax exemption on property in Iowa.
- Other items will be reviewed by licensing personnel.