Military/Veteran driver's license and vehicle services
The Iowa Department of Transportation offers several services to assist current and former military members.
- Veteran designation: By requesting a "veteran" designation on a driverís license or ID card, a former military member can eliminate the need to carry official military papers for veteran identification purposes.
- Military extension of an Iowa driverís license: An extension of operating privileges may be given to military personnel who cannot return to Iowa to renew their driver's license in person and do not meet eligibility requirements to renew online. The extension is valid until six months following separation from active duty.
- Iowa military service license plates: Iowa offers several license plate options for our current and former military members.
- Military commercial driverís license (CDL) waiver: If you have recent experience driving large trucks in the military, you may be eligible to obtain an Iowa CDL without taking the drive skills test that is normally required. To be eligible for the waiver, you must have legally operated the same type of commercial motor vehicle that you expect to operate as a civilian for at least two years immediately prior to applying for a CDL.
- Reduced registration fees for specially equipped vehicles: Persons with disabilities may be eligible for a reduced registration fee for specially equipped vehicles.