Military/Veteran driver's license and vehicle services
Checklist for military commercial driverís license (CDL) waiver
If you have recent experience driving large trucks in the military, you may be eligible to obtain an Iowa commercial driverís license (CDL) without taking the drive skills test that is normally required. To be eligible for the waiver, you must have legally operated the same type of commercial motor vehicle that you expect to operate as a civilian for at least two years immediately prior to applying for a CDL.To qualify for the waiver, you must:
- Be an Iowa resident.
- Hold a valid Iowa driverís license
- Submit the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver form to add a CDL endorsement; or apply for an Iowa driverís license with a CDL endorsement.
In addition to completing the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver form, you must present the required documentation listed below.
1. One of two forms of acceptable evidence that you have operated a vehicle representative of a commercial motor vehicle is required.
- A valid military CDL that clearly defines the types of vehicles you are/were authorized to drive; or
- An expired military CDL that expired no more than six months from submittal date of the application for waiver form.
- DD Form 2 (Active Duty Uniformed Services ID Card), certifying you are a member of the active or reserve components of any branch or unit of the U.S. armed forces; or
- DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), certifying you are a veteran who received an honorable discharge from any branch or unit of the active or reserve components of the U.S. armed forces.
Knowledge test: The written knowledge test required to obtain a CDL will not be waived. Study material for the test and other information about the testing and application process is available at https://forms.iowadot.gov/FormsMgt/External/430004.pdf or any Iowa driverís license issuance site.
If you have questions about the waiver, call the Iowa DOT Motor Vehicle Division's help desk at: 515-244-1052 available Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., except official state holidays.