Iowa roadways remain closed due to flooding
AMES, Iowa – Flooding continues to affect many roadways in the state, according to Iowa Department of Transportation (Iowa DOT) officials. Iowans are urged to closely monitor conditions and never enter a water-covered roadway.
The Iowa DOT's temporary customer service phone line will be in operation from 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. daily until further notice. That number is 866-452-8510. This number was set up for assisting travelers navigate state roadway closings. It is not an emergency number. Emergency calls should be made to 911. This phone line is extremely busy, so if you get a busy signal please call back. The operators at this call center have information on state highways only, not county or local roads.
Many of the closures on this list will remain in place for an extended period of time due to damaged pavements. It is extremely important that motorists not move barricades on closed roads, as driving on the damaged roadways can be severe in places and put the motorist in danger.
For travel between Muscatine and Davenport , motorists should take U.S. 61 east to Interstate 280, Interstate 280 north to Interstate 80, and then into or around the city of Davenport via Interstate 80.
There were no new reports of roads opening or closing overnight.
Previously mentioned and updated road closures
- I-80 and Dubuque Street interchange: in Johnson County – Flood waters are over Dubuque Street south of this interchange in Iowa City. The southbound exit from Interstate 80 is closed.
- U.S. 6: in Johnson County – U.S. 6 is closed from Iowa 1 to Gilbert Street within the city of Iowa City.
- U.S. 6: in Johnson County – U.S. 6 is now open to one lane in each direction from Benton Street to the intersection of Iowa 1 west within the city of Iowa City due to flooding. (previously closed from Benton Street)
- U .S. 6: in Muscatine County – U.S. 6 is closed from Muscatine County Road X-46 (Atalissa) to Iowa 38. This roadway is severely damaged and is expected to remain closed for some time.
- U.S. 18: in Floyd County – While flood waters have receded, the water damaged the roadway east of Charles City . U.S. 18 will remain closed from Charles City to New Hampton until repairs can be made. This is a long-term closure. Detour is in place using local roads.
- U.S. 34: in Des Moines County – The Mississippi River bridge at Burlington is closed due to a levee breach in Gulfport, Ill.
- U.S. 34: in Des Moines County – The exit ramp from U.S. 34 to Main Street (exit 263) in Burlington is closed to traffic due to flooding.
- U.S. 61: in Scott County – U.S. 61 is closed in the city of Davenport from Iowa 22 to U.S. 67 south due to the rising Mississippi River . For travel between Muscatine and Davenport, motorists should take U.S. 61 east to Interstate 280, Interstate 280 north to Interstate 80, and then into or around the city of Davenport via Interstate 80.
- U.S. 61: in Louisa County – U.S. 61 is closed from the north city limits of Wapello to south of Iowa 92. This road is damaged and will be closed until repairs are made.
- U.S. 61: in Lee County - U.S. 61 in Lee County is closed to traffic between Lee County roads J-40 and X-38 due to water covering the road. Traffic is suggested to follow local detour signs for U.S. 61 Fort Madison detour.
- U.S. 65: in Polk County –T he northbound right-hand lane of U.S. 65 between the Vandalia interchange and the 64th Street interchange has been undermined and repairs must be made before opening that lane on Monday, June 23. (Updated location information and rescheduled opening date)
- U.S. 67: in Scott County - U.S. 67 is now closed from the Illinois State Line to Iowa 74 due to flooding of the Mississippi River. This is located in the downtown areas of Davenport and Bettendorf.
- U.S. 136 bridge at Keokuk - The U.S. 136 crossing at Keokuk is open to only local traffic. Flaggers are in place to assist motorists. U.S. 136/61 is CLOSED in Missouri.
- U.S. 136/U.S. 61: in Lee County – U.S. 136/U.S. 61 is closed in Missouri until further notice due to flooding. This closure will detour travelers between Iowa and Missouri.
- U.S. 151: in Iowa County – Road closed from Iowa 220 to U.S. 6 between the town of Amana and Homestead.
- U.S. 275: in Fremont County – This roadway is closed from the Missouri state line to Fremont County Road J-64 (old Iowa 333) at Hamburg.
- Iowa 1: in Linn County – Due to the flood damage to the roadway, Iowa 1 will remain closed from U.S. 30 to the city of Solon until repairs can be made. This is a long term closure. A detour is being established.
- Iowa 3: in Butler County – This highway is closed west of Shell Rock. There is roadway damage that must be repaired.
- Iowa 14 : in Marion County – Iowa 14 is reduced to one-lane from northern city limits of Knoxville to Marion County Road G-40 due to a landslide. Electronic traffic signals are in place to direct traffic.
- Iowa 16: in Wapello County – Iowa 16 through Eldon is reduced to one-lane for one city block due to water covering the road.
- Iowa 21: Iowa County – The road is open to one lane of traffic from Iowa 212 to Benton County E-66 which is just south of Belle Plaine. Traffic is being flagged through the lane closure.
- Iowa 22: in Muscatine County – Iowa 22 is closed east of Muscatine to Scott County Road Y-40.
- Iowa 22: in Muscatine County – Iowa 22 is closed from Iowa 70 to U.S. 61. This will be a long-term closure as the roadway is severely damaged.
- Iowa 22: in Scott County – Iowa 22 within the city of Buffalo from Scott County Road Y-40 to I-280 is closed due to the Mississippi River rising.
- Iowa 24: in Winneshiek County – Iowa 24 is closed at Fort Atkinson due to a washed out bridge approach. This is a long-term closure.
- Iowa 70: in Louisa County - Iowa 70 is closed to traffic from Iowa 92 to before Muscatine County Line due to flooding.
- Iowa 92: in Louisa County – Iowa 92 is closed in Columbus Junction. Traffic is being detoured onto local roads.
- Iowa 92: in Mahaska County – Iowa 92 is closed at Mahaska County Road V-13. Traffic is being detoured on local roads.
- Iowa 92: in Marion County – Iowa 92 is closed to traffic from Mahaska County line west to Marion County Road T-17 due to flooding.
- Iowa 92: in Muscatine County – Iowa 92 is closed within city limits of Muscatine due to flooding.
- Iowa 98: Van Buren County – Iowa 98 is closed from the start of Iowa 98 to Iowa 16 due to flooding.
- Iowa 150: Benton County – While flood waters have receded, the water damaged the roadway north of Vinton. Iowa 150 will remain closed from the Cedar River bridge to about two miles north until repairs can be made. This is a long-term closure. The detour has been established to use Interstate 380 to U.S. 20, and then to U.S. 218.
- Iowa 220: Iowa County - Due to roadway damage, Iowa 220 has been reduced to one lane from U.S. 6 to West Amana . Traffic is being flagged through the lane reduction. Until further notice, the roadway will be open from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. daily; and closed from 7:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. due to safety concerns.
- Louisa County : Meyerholz Lake area – Louisa County Road G-62 is closed. Several local roads are also closed in this area.
Flood safety tips and other helpful information for travelers are available at: http://iowadot.gov/floods/index.html