Summer employment opportunities
Applications are now being accepted for approximately 45 summer jobs completing the statewide Traffic Survey. Applicants must be at least 18 years old at the time of employment and possess a valid driver's license. Employment will be from May 19 until mid-August with several positions starting early April. The 45 positions are responsible for several different types of duties.
Manual counters, recorder operators, automatic traffic recorder calibrators and the videolog assistant
- Manual counters: These employees study traffic at a different intersection each day, Monday through Thursday. The majority of the studies are conducted in three shifts: 6:45 a.m. to 9 a.m., 10:45 a.m. to 1 p.m., and 2:45 p.m. to 6 p.m. Several continuous 24 hour special studies are conducted throughout the summer. An additional 45 minutes is allowed each day to draw a map of the intersection and surrounding area. Vehicles are provided during the work week. A significant portion of the work will be in the southeastern quadrant of Iowa. Statewide, overnight travel from Sunday afternoons through Friday mornings is required.
- Recorder operators: These employees are expected to travel to defined locations to set the portable traffic recorders and rubber pneumatic tubes, draw recorder location site maps, and download the traffic data after the predetermined count time. This requires working in all areas within the road right-of-way, near traffic, and in all weather conditions. Vehicles are provided during the work week. A significant portion of the work will be in the southeastern quadrant of Iowa. Statewide, overnight travel from Sunday afternoons through Friday mornings is required.
- Automatic traffic recorder calibrators: These employees are expected to travel to defined locations to verify ATR data collection. The ATRs collect traffic and speed data continuously and are calibrated regularly to ensure integrity for this data. Statewide, overnight travel is required.
- Videolog assistant: This employee will assist in operating a vehicle that collects global positioning system (GPS) data and electronic images of the Iowa highway system. Statewide, overnight travel is required.
These positions all pay $11.39 per hour and employees are reimbursed for eligible incurred expenses for lodging and food.
Complete and submit an application for one of these positions.
Communication shop workers
- Communication shop workers: These employees assist the Iowa DOT's communications section in installing and maintaining permanent automatic traffic recorder (ATR) equipment in the right of way and embedded in the pavement. These statewide ATR sites utilize electronic equipment to count, classify, gather speed data, and weigh vehicles. Applicant should have limited knowledge of construction tools and methods. Statewide, overnight travel three days a week is expected. Residence in Ames or local area is beneficial when weather limits travel.
Complete and submit an application for the communication shop worker position.
If you need further assistance, email Ronald Bunting at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-239-1289.