Winter travel information
The Iowa Department of Transportationís goal during the winter season is to return roads to reasonably near normal winter driving conditions as quickly as possible after a winter storm. The department operates around the clock to clear roads of snow and ice, but motorists also have a responsibility to:
- Make sure your vehicle is in good operating condition for winter time driving.
- Take time to find out about the weather and road conditions.
- Use good driving skills to avoid losing control of your vehicle.
- Operate safely around snow removal equipment.
- For current road condition information: www.511ia.org
- Information on how to use the 511 Web site or the telephone service
- View the latest Iowa DOT news releases
- Iowa DOT Maintenance garages and roadways within their service areas
- Road conditions in other states
- Winter Weather Precautions and Information - Iowa Department of Public Health
- Wheel-track glazing
- Blog: A day in the life of a snowplow operator
- Prepared for Survival video
Winter driving tip sheet
- Check the weather forecast and road conditions before embarking on a trip.
- Before winter strikes, make sure your vehicle is in good working order. more driving tips
Winter survival kit
- Booster cables
- Blankets and/or sleeping bags
- Candles and matches
- Snow shovel and ice scraper more kit information
- When it snows, use your head not your feet.
- Slow down at intersections.
- Allow additional space between vehicles.
- Avoid using cruise control. more speed information
- Stopping on snow and ice requires extra time and distance.
- Accelerate gradually.
- Brake early and slowly.
- Avoid abrupt steering maneuvers.
- Merge slowly. more driving maneuvers
- Check your vehicle's tires, brakes, fluids, wiper blades, lights, and hoses.
- Before leaving home, find out about driving conditions by calling 511 or visiting 511ia.org. more trip preparedness