Instructional Memorandums to Local Public Agencies and the Federal-Aid Project Development Guide
Federal-Aid Project Development Guide for Local Public AgenicesThe Federal-Aid Project Development Guide for Local Public Agenices, referred to hereinafter as the Guide, provides a concise summary of information and instructions for local public agency (LPA) staff and consultants involved in the planning, development and construction of LPA federal-aid transportation projects. Where appropriate, the Guide references the I.M.s and other documents for more detailed information and instructions.
View or print the guide.
Instructional Memorandums (I.M.s)The I.M.s provide assistance to LPAs on a wide variety of transportation-related topics. Some I.M.s supplement the Guide by providing more detailed information or instructions that are applicable to federal-aid transportation projects. Other I.M.s are applicable to state or locally funded projects. Still others are applicable to all types of projects. If the applicability of an I.M. is limited by funding or other considerations, this is explained in the "Contents" section at the beginning of the I.M.
View or print the I.M. Table of Contents.
Updates to the Guide and I.M.sWhen updates to the Guide or I.M.s are published online, an E-mail notice will be sent to those on the Office of Local Systems' mailing list.
Sign up to be on the Office of Local Systems' mailing list.
Note: The Iowa DOT does not provide printed copies of the Guide or I.M.s. Because the Guide and I.M.s are updated frequently, we recommend referring to the Guide and I.M.s online using the links provided above.
Nevertheless, if you want to print the I.M.s as a group, or save them to your computer or hand-held device for off-line viewing, they may be downloaded using one of the following options. If you choose to access the I.M.s this way, you should repeat the download process whenever the I.M.s are updated in order to ensure your copy is current. Instructions for maintaining paper copies of the I.M.s are included in the download files.
Download OptionsNote: the file sizes are large and may take a moment to download.
- All I.M.s referenced by the Guide Use this option if you want to download just those I.M.s that are referenced by the Guide. This will include only those I.M.s that are applicable to federal-aid transportation projects.
- All I.M.s Use this option if you want to download all the current I.M.s.
- The Guide and I.M.s are available in Adobe® Acrobat® Portable Document Format (PDF), which may be viewed or printed using the free Adobe Reader® software.
- Some attachments to the I.M.s are also available in Microsoft® Word format; if so, they are noted accordingly on the I.M. Table of Contents.
- The download files are designed for double sided printing, so they contain blank pages after documents with an odd number of pages.
- When the Guide and/or I.M.s are revised, a revision notice is issued. The revision notice lists the I.M.s and/or sections of the Guide that were revised and provides a brief description of each. The following recent revision notices are provided for reference:
Revision No. 2013-01 (Feb. 18, 2013)
Revision No. 2012-03 (Oct. 30, 2012)
Revision No. 2012-02 (Aug. 24, 2012)
Revision No. 2012-01 (July 20, 2012)
Revision No. 2011-06 (Dec. 1, 2011)
Revision No. 2011-05 (Sept. 19, 2011)
Revision No. 2011-04 (Aug. 10, 2011)
Revision No. 2011-03 (July 18, 2011)
Revision No. 2011-02 (May 11, 2011)
Revision No. 2011-01 (Feb. 15, 2011)
Revision No. 2010-02 (June 18, 2010)
Revision No. 2010-01 (April 22, 2010)
Revision No. 2008-04 (Dec. 11, 2008)
Revision No. 2008-03 (Aug. 14, 2008)
Revision No. 2008-02 (March 26, 2008)
Revision No. 2008-01 (Feb. 21, 2008)
Revision No. 2007-06 (Dec. 3, 2007)
Revision No. 2007-05 (Aug. 6, 2007)
Revision No. 2007-04 (June 18, 2007)
Revision No. 2007-03 (May 1, 2007)
Revision No. 2007-02 (April 12, 2007)
Revision No. 2007-01 (Feb. 16, 2007)