Fiscal Year 2012 grant solicitation announcement
Attention Iowa Byways organizations, stakeholders and interested local public agencies
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) announced the solicitation for FY 2012 candidate projects for the National Scenic Byways (NSB) Program. The Surface Transportation Extension Act of 2011, Part II (Extension Act), title I of Public Law 112-30, extended federal-aid highway program funding through March 31, 2012. FHWA plans to award funding available for these programs under the six-month extension. If additional FY 2012 funding for these programs is provided, FHWA intends to subsequently award these additional program funds based upon responses to this solicitation, if merited by the applications that are received.
Detailed information regarding the solicitation can be found at
Applications for the NSB Program must be completed at
In addition, the Iowa Byways website http://iowadot.gov/iowasbyways/ has current information relating to specific guidelines and requirements for Iowa. Please review these resources to ensure your grant application(s) meet all submission requirements for the 2012 grant cycle. Also, remember to work closely with the Byways organization that coordinates activities on your byway. These organizations will rank projects and, therefore, can have a large impact on the success of your application. In addition, all projects should reflect the priorities outlined in the corridor management plan the respective Byways organization has prepared.
I urge all applicants to consider this solicitation carefully and prepare your grant application(s) with FHWA’s guidelines in mind. It’s my hope that Iowa Byways organizations will put forth the highest quality projects with the greatest potential for timely and successful development along your respective byways.
The 2011 schedule for submissions is listed below.
- Nov. 10 — Solicitation for FY 2012 NSB Grant applications
- Dec. 6 — FY 2012 NSB Grant applications due to Iowa DOT’s Office of Systems Planning no later than 4 p.m. This submission shall include 18 original hard copies of the application and all supporting material. In addition, the online application shall be submitted by this same date and time.
- Dec. 7 — Applications will be sent to Iowa Byways organizations for scoring and ranking.
- Dec. 20 — Scored and ranked applications due from Iowa Byways organizations to the Iowa DOT’s Office of Systems Planning no later than 4 p.m.
- Dec. 30 — Ranked applications due to FHWA’s Iowa Division Office
If you have any questions after reviewing the solicitation materials, please feel free to contact 515-239-1369.
Thank you and good luck on your applications.
Iowa Department of Transportation
Office of Systems Planning