Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Railway Co. (CIC) - 2008
The Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Railway Co.
began operations in 1904. The railroad operated as a passenger line until 1953. The CIC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alliant Energy Transportation. The headquarters are located in Cedar Rapids.
The railroad operates 60 miles of track in eastern Iowa. The CIC's main line runs from Cedar Rapids to Iowa City. In 1981 the railroad expanded by purchasing 23 miles of the Milwaukee Road from Cedar Rapids to Homestead. It also purchased the Iowa City-to-Hills line from the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad in 1982. The CIC also provides switching operations in Cedar Rapids. The railroad interchanges traffic with the Chicago, Central and Pacific Railroad; Iowa Northern Railway Company; and the Union Pacific Railroad in Cedar Rapids. The railroad interchanges with the Iowa Interstate Railroad in Homestead and Iowa City. The railroad employs 78 people, all located in Iowa.
The main products handled by the CIC include food products, coal, grain, and paper.