Passenger rail links
Federal Railroad Administration
Federal Railroad Administration's High Speed Rail Overview
Federal Railroad Administration Chicago to Council Bluffs-Omaha Regional Passenger Rail System Planning Study
Mulit-State Locomotive Procurement
- H.R. 2095, Title III - Passenger Rail Improvement and Investment Act of 2008 (PRIA)
Bill that created the High-Speed Intercity Passenger Rail program
Passenger Rail Advisory Committee (PRAC)
The Iowa DOT formed a Passenger Rail Advisory Committee in 2008 whose members are helping shape the vision for passenger rail service in the state and make it a reality.
Passenger rail development and advocacy organizations
- Midwest Regional Rail Initiative (MWRRI) is a cooperative, multiagency effort that began in 1996 and involves nine Midwest states (Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio and Wisconsin) as well as the FRA. The MWRRI was instrumental in studying and developing a coordinated plan for regional passenger rail service in the Midwest
- Midwest High-Speed Rail Steering Group
The Steering Group, composed of high-level state officials, was established within the memorandum of understanding signed by the governors of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio and Wisconsin, and the mayor of the city of Chicago. The Steering Group coordinates and advocates on behalf of the region's collective high-speed rail interests.
Midwest High Speed Rail – Chicago to Quad Cities
- States for Passenger Rail Coalition (SPRC) is an alliance of state departments of transportation that supports intercity passenger rail initiatives and advocates for federal funding.
- Iowa Association of Railroad Passengers
- National Association of Railroad Passengers
- Environmental Law and Policy Center
- Dubuque Passenger Rail Coalition
- Quad Cities Passenger Rail Coalition
Excursion or tourist railroads
Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad (BSV), located in Boone, Iowa is a railroad museum and excursion railroad featuring all three common forms of railroad motive power (diesel, electric and steam.) BSV offers standard rides through the scenic Des Moines River Valley, as well as elegant dinner and dessert trains, and special events, such as visits by Thomas the Tank Engine, holiday rides and others.
Hawkeye Express, owned by the Iowa Northern Railway Co., operates a number of bilevel, commuter-passenger cars to move fans between historic Kinnick Stadium and satellite parking areas during Iowa Hawkeye's home football games.