Iowans Getting on Board
How do I get involved?Support for passenger rail is building. National, regional, statewide and local organizations have been busy planning and advocating for expanded passenger rail.
The Iowa DOT:
- Seeks funding to initiate expanded passenger rail as grant announcements are made.
- Continues on going discussions with Amtrak, Illinois and the host railroads on route improvements, cost sharing, equipment, and other details.
- Continues discussions with communities along potential routes on depot facilities, intermodal connections and other details.
- Facilitates a statewide Passenger Rail Advisory Committee, whose members are helping shape the vision for passenger rail service in the state and make it a reality..
- Participates in passenger rail organizations at a national, regional and local level.
- Updates Iowa’s statewide rail plan that includes passenger rail.
- Develops the Iowa DOT's 10-Year Strategic Passenger Rail Plan.
If you share the vision of expanded passenger rail in Iowa, take action today to Get on Board!
- Do your homework and get the facts. The Iowa DOT's Office of Rail Transportation Web site is a good place to start to find the information you need to be a champion for passenger rail.
- Talk to your local officials about expanded passenger rail service opportunities.
- Encourage your state legislators to invest in passenger rail; a list of legislators and their contact information is available at the Iowa General Assembly's Web site.
- Join a local rail passenger advocacy group.
- Write a letter of support to your local media.
- Sign up on the Iowa DOT's Web site for E-mail updates on Iowa's passenger and freight rail.