This IM covers the approval process to supply anchor bolts to Iowa DOT projects and the method to inspect, sample and test anchor bolts for acceptance. The requirements for anchor bolts can be found in standard specifications:
· 2405.03,H (bridge bearings and foundations)
· 2522.03,E,4 (high mast light towers)
· 2525.03,H,3 (traffic signal supports)
· 4185.02,B,2 (lighting poles)
· 4187.01,C,3 (sign truss)
Anchor bolts, nuts and washers shall also comply with the Buy America requirements in IM 107. Approved fabricators of anchor bolts can be found in the Materials Approved Products Listing Enterprise (MAPLE).
Prior to furnishing anchor bolts on a certification basis, the following documents shall be submitted:
1. A request shall be submitted to Central Construction and Materials Office in Ames, Iowa detailing the location of the fabrication plant and any distribution center(s).
2. Quality control plan/procedures the company has established to ensure material quality and identity through the fabrication process as well as quality control testing.
3. A typical example of certification documents the mill will furnish.
4. Copy of an identification list, invoice or bill of materials providing the information identified in the Certification Procedures.
· The fabricator and/or supplier shall furnish an identification list, invoice or bill of loading for each shipment to each project. It shall show the project, design number, dimension, size, length, grade, heat number, and source of pieces in the shipment and contain a certification statement state that the attached mill test reports represent the itemized material.
· The signed mill test reports/certification shall include the physical, chemical and mechanical properties, ASTM designation, grade and type for each heat.
· The signed mill test reports/certification shall also include a statement indicating the steel meets the requirements of IM 107, Group 1, Buy America.
· The galvanizer for the bolts, nuts and washers shall provide a galvanizing certificate which states the chromate treatment.
A copy of these documents is required for each shipment to a project and shall be provided to the Project Engineer responsible for project administration.
Acceptance of concrete anchor bolts will be based on approved source, complying verification test samples and certification documentation as indicated above.
Approved fabricators/suppliers of anchor bolts are found in IM 453.08 Appendix A.
Approved fabricators of swedge anchor bolts are found in IM 453.08 Appendix C.
VERIFICATION SAMPLING & TESTING
A minimum of one sample (bolt, nut and washer) per project per size shall be taken.
The following items will be checked for compliance during verification testing:
Anchor Bolts: 1. Test for hardness and strength (proof loading)
2. Visual Inspection
3. Check/test galvanizing thickness
Nuts: 1. Visual Inspection for markings
2. Check/test galvanizing thickness
3. Check threads for zinc build-up
4. Check for over tapping
Washers: 1. Check/test galvanizing thickness
2. Check/test size and dimension