Section 4188. Traffic Control Devices
Meet the following material requirements for the type of traffic control devices specified.
Furnish reboundable drum channelizing devices made for use in traffic control zones. Submit drum type, manufacturer, model, and size to the Materials Engineer for approval. Ensure channelizing devices meet the requirements of the MUTCD, Part 6, Section 6F.67 and the following requirements:
1. Drum body made from an impact resistant, flexible, and reboundable material that is highway orange meeting Federal Color Standards.
2. Material specifically formulated with ultraviolet stabilizers to provide satisfactory weatherability characteristics and resist fading.
3. Top of the body designed so that small signs can be securely affixed and stay attached upon impact.
1. Drums designed to allow a minimum of four horizontal, circumferential bands of 4 inch (100 mm) minimum width retroreflective sheeting.
2. The first (top) and third bands orange, and the second and fourth (bottom) bands white.
3. Nonreflectorized spaces between bands (if present) no wider than 2 inches (50 mm).
4. Retroreflective sheeting for the bands meeting the requirements of Article 4186.03 and recommended by the manufacturer for use on drums.
1. Drums, when properly ballasted, are not to move, overturn, or separate due to air turbulence created by passing vehicles or moderate winds.
2. The ballast is to be of sand, recycled tire collar if applicable to the drum, or an Engineer approved material that will not present a hazard to motorists, workers, or pedestrians.
3. Apply the limitations specified in MUTCD Section 6F.67 for a drum weighted with ballast.
4. Anti-roll feature that prevents drums from rolling freely if overturned.
Comply with Materials I.M. 488.02 for inspection and acceptance of reboundable traffic control drums.
1. Height of 48 inches ± 2 inches (1.2 m ± 50 mm) and constructed of orange plastic mesh containing ultraviolet stabilizers to prevent degradation.
2. Remain flexible down to 0°F (-18°C).
3. Minimum tensile strength of 250 pounds per foot (3650 N/m) in the longitudinal direction and 150 pounds per foot (2190 N/m) in the vertical direction.
4. Maximum aperture opening of a nominal 4.5 square inches (290 mm2).
5. Maximum porosity of 55% for the safety fence surface area.
6. Available in rolls of at least 50 feet (15 m) in length to minimize fence joints for an individual fence location.
B. Securely attach three horizontal nominal 1 inch (25 mm) bands of Type III or IV white retroreflective sheeting meeting the requirements of Article 4186.03 to the safety fence on the side facing traffic. Locate the bands at the mid-height and within 9 inches (225 mm) from the top and bottom of the fence fabric. Comply with Materials I.M. 488.03 for inspection and acceptance of orange mesh safety fence.
Furnish reboundable channelizing devices made for use in traffic control zones. Ensure channelizing devices meet the requirements of the MUTCD and the following requirements:
1. Channelizer body is made from an impact resistant, flexible, and reboundable material that is highway orange meeting Federal Color Standards.
2. Material is specifically formulated with ultraviolet stabilizers to provide satisfactory weatherability characteristics and resist fading.
1. Minimum of two orange 6 inch (150 mm) bands of Type VII Iowa reflective sheeting and two white 6 inch (150 mm) bands of Type III or IV reflective sheeting.
2. Retroreflective sheeting for the bands meeting the requirements of Article 4186.03 and recommended by the manufacturer for use on drums.
3. The first (top) and third bands orange, and the second and fourth (bottom) bands white.
4. Nonreflective spaces between the bands no wider than 2 inches (50 mm).
1. The channelizer, when properly ballasted, is not to move, overturn, or separate due to air turbulence created by passing vehicles or moderate winds.
2. The ballast is to be supplied by the manufacturer, is to weigh no less than 30 pounds (13.6 kg), and is not to present a hazard to motorists, workers, or pedestrians.
3. Anti-roll feature that prevents channelizers from rolling freely if overturned.
Comply with Materials I.M. 488.04 for inspection and acceptance of channelizers.
Furnish luminaires made for portable, mobile self contained, floodlights for temporary traffic control zones. Luminaire shall have IES LM-79-08 report from qualified independent laboratory verifying luminaire performance, including the following requirements:
L70 @ 25°C of 70,000 hours.
LED color temperature of 4,000 cct - 5,000 cct.
LED light engines meet dust and moisture rating of IP-66.
Designed and tested to comply with ANSI C136.31 2001 for 100,000 cycles at 3G acceleration for normal and bridge applications.
Surge protection for LED driver and electronics - category C high (20kV, 10kA).
Totally enclosed glass refractor lenses with type IV distribution.
IES glare control rating of "full cut off".
Minimum initial output rating of 7,200 lumens.
Meets State of Iowa Energy Code requirements for LED roadway lighting (66 lm/W).
Photoelectric controlled for dusk to dawn operation.
Comply with Materials I.M. 488.06 for inspection and acceptance of Temporary LED Floodlighting Luminaires.
1. A PDMS is defined as all components working together to accomplish the requirements of the specifications. These components include, but are not limited to, LED pixel boards, on-board computer, cellular modem (when specified), trailer, mounting equipment, solar panels, batteries, charge controller, etc.
2. The message panel shall be trailer mounted. Message panel shall be mounted at a height of at least 7 feet (2.2 m), measured from bottom of sign to ground directly below. Sign presents a level appearance. Sign is capable of displaying three lines of up to eight characters at one time. Character height is 18 inches (450 mm) and configured using a 7 pixel tall by 5 pixel wide font. Message panel may be configured as character matrix, line matrix, or full matrix.
3. Message panel visible from 1/2 mile (800 m) under both day and night conditions. Letters legible from 750 feet (225 m). Message sign shall include automatic dimming for nighttime operation and a power supply capable of providing service for 7 continuous days without recharging.
4. Message panel controlled by an onboard computer capable of:
· Storing a minimum of 99 programmed messages for instant recall,
· Being programmed to accept messages created by the operator via an alpha-numeric keyboard, and
· Being programmed remotely by National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation Systems Protocols (NTCIP) DMS software (when specified).
5. Physical access to the onboard computer protected by a padlock or other locking handle mechanism. Electronic access to the onboard computer protected by a username and password.
On Interstate and Primary projects, PDMS shall be equipped with a cellular modem for remote communications.
1. Cellular service provider shall have data coverage within project limits. Contractor shall be responsible for integrating cellular modem with the PDMS.
2. Upon confirmation that remote communication has been successfully setup, the IP address, communications port, software, and username/password for web interface shall be supplied to Engineer for integration into the statewide ITS control software.
3. Cellular modem shall be capable of obtaining its location by GPS. Current location from GPS coordinates shall be stored in cellular modems memory for retrieval by ITS control software. Modem shall have firewall security protections that limit who and what can communicate to it.
4. Typical monthly data usage by Contracting Authority is 5 Mb when PDMS is in good working condition. Additional data usage is possible if PDMS requires remote troubleshooting or maintenance.
On Interstate and Primary projects, PDMS onboard computer and operating firmware shall be compliant with at least NTCIP 1203 v1.15 supplemented with NTCIP 1203 Amendment 1 v07, (dated July 3, 2001) for the following commands:
· Read configuration data from sign,
· Send configuration data to sign,
· Poll sign (retrieve sign status) both manual and automated with software,
· Activate a message,
· Blank or remove a message,
· Upload fonts, and
· Reset controller/onboard computer.