Section 4155. Guardrail
Provide guardrail materials meeting the requirements for the type of guardrail specified. Provide guardrail posts of wood or steel as specified in the contract documents.
Comply with the following:
1. Meet the requirements of AASHTO M 30, Type I, Class A.
2. For high tension cable guardrail, meet the manufacturer's requirements.
Meet the requirements of AASHTO M 30, Type II, Class A.
Use posts sawed to the dimensions shown in the contract documents and meeting the requirements of Section 4164.
1. Use steel posts of the dimensions shown in the contract documents and that meet the requirements of ASTM A 36 structural steel.
2. Ensure bolt holes comply with Article 2408.03, S, 2.
and blocks are
galvanized according to the requirements of ASTM A 123. Ensure galvanizing is
done after fabrication and after all bolt holes have been drilled.
1. All miscellaneous items and materials are of the type, size, and dimension shown in the contract documents.
2. All metal parts are galvanized. However, any items or parts of items to be covered with 2 inches or more of concrete need not be galvanized.
3. All cable fittings required for cable guardrail installation are designed and fabricated so as to develop the full strength of a single cable or the multiple cable assembly, as applicable.
C. When specific requirements are not stated in the contract documents, obtain the Engineer’s approval for anchor angles, anchor cable, turnbuckles, hook bolts, compensating devices, and any other fittings or special hardware which may be required.