****THIS IS A NEW IM. – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.****
PERFORATED SQUARE STEEL TUBE POST AND ANCHORS
Shall meet the requirements of Article 4186.10 of the Standard Specifications.
Acceptance of perforated steel square sign posts and anchors will be on the basis of approved sources and certification from the manufacturer. Samples of materials may be obtained from projects to verify compliance with the specifications. Approved sources are in Appendix A.
The certification statement shall include the following:
1. All materials meet the manufacturer’s specifications as tested under NCHRP Report 350 or AASHTO Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware (MASH) for items evaluated after January 1, 2011 and complies with the applicable specifications of the Iowa Department of Transportation.
2. All products of iron, steel, or a coating of steel have been manufactured in the United States.
All relevant documentation, product literature, brochures and any other details along with the FHWA approval letter stating compliance to NCHRP 350 or AASHTO MASH for items evaluated after January 1, 2011 shall be submitted.
The following are minimum requirements to be considered for approval:
1. Meet the requirements of NCHRP Report 350 category 2, level 3 or AASHTO MASH for items evaluated after January 1, 2011
2. Be accepted as “crashworthy” by the FHWA
3. Meet the requirements of Article 4186.10 of the Iowa DOT Standard Specifications
4. Product samples and field evaluation may be required.