Segment 3Segment 3 begins on I-80 just east of Indian Creek and continues to a point northeast of the Madison Avenue interchange. This segment includes construction of the “dual, divided freeway” from Indian Creek to the east system interchange. The segment also includes I-29 from south of the U.S. 275/Iowa 92 interchange, north to and including the east system interchange.
Engineers on the project team are working to develop design plans for Segment 3. Construction on Segment 3 is expected to begin in 2012.
Key features of the Segment 3 improvements are:
- construction of the dual, divided freeway west of the east system interchange;
- three lanes in each direction on I-80
- a minimum of two lanes in each direction on I-29
- auxiliary entrance/exit lanes as needed on I-29
- three lanes in each direction on I-29 south of the east system interchang) through the U.S. 275/Iowa 92 interchange;
- three lanes in each direction on I-80 east of the east system interchange;
- reconstructed folded diamond interchange at South Expressway similar to the existing configuration;
- reconstructed diamond interchange at Madison Avenue similar to the existing configuration;
- reconstructed partial cloverleaf interchange at U.S. 275/Iowa 92 similar to the existing configuration; and
- reconstructed east system interchange, including straightening of the I-80 alignment through the interchange.