Segment 2Segment 2 begins on I-80 just west of the I-80/I-29 west system interchange in Council Bluffs and continues to just east of Indian Creek. The segment also includes I-29 through the west system interchange, north to and including the Union Pacific Railroad bridge. This segment includes construction of the “dual, divided freeway” from the west system interchange to Indian Creek; and reconstruction of the west system, 24th Street and Nebraska Avenue interchanges.
Engineers on the project team are working to develop design plans for Segment 2. Construction on Segment 2 is expected to begin in 2011.
Key features of the Segment 2 improvements are:
- construction of the dual, divided freeway east of the west system interchange;
- three lanes in each direction on I-80
- a minimum of two lanes in each direction on I-29
- auxiliary entrance/exit lanes as needed on I-29
- three lanes in each direction on I-29 north of the west system Interchange;
- reconstructed diamond interchange at 24th Street similar to the existing configuration;
- reconstructed folded diamond interchange at Nebraska Avenue similar to the existing configuration;
- reconstructed west system interchange; and
- reconstructed Union Pacific Railroad bridge.