Segment 1Segment 1 begins in Omaha, Neb., just east of the I-80/I-480 system interchange and continues across the Missouri River to just west of the I-80/I-29 west system interchange in Council Bluffs, Iowa. This segment includes improvements to the 13th Street interchange (in Nebraska) and construction of a second bridge over the Missouri River north of the existing bridge.
Engineers on the project team are working to develop design plans for Segment 1. Construction on Segment 1 began in 2008.
Key features of the Segment 1 improvements are:
- a minimum of four lanes in each direction on I-80;
- a new I-80 bridge over the Missouri River for westbound traffic;
- conversion of the existing I-80 bridge over the Missouri River for eastbound traffic;
- minor changes to the 13th Street interchange; and
- reconstruction of the Riverview Boulevard bridge.