I-80 Missouri River bridge
Project descriptionA new bridge over the Missouri River will be constructed immediately north of the existing bridge and the existing bridge will be widened. A second bridge is needed to be able to provide five lanes in each direction on I-80 for the ultimate interstate improvements. For more information about the ultimate improvements, see the Design page.
- A contract was awarded to Jensen Construction of Des Moines, IA, in January 2008 for $56 million.
- A new bridge is expected to be completed in 2010.
- The existing bridge will be widened in 2011 under a separate contract.
- Both bridges and approach roadways are expected to be completed in 2011.
- Traffic on I-80 will not be affected during construction of the new bridge.
- The existing bridge will remain in place while the new bridge is constructed and continue to carry two lanes of traffic in each direction.
- Traffic will be shifted to the new bridge when it is completed so the existing bridge can be widened.
- Once both bridges are complete, each bridge will carry three lanes of traffic until the ultimate improvements are completed.