Chariton and Leon Short Line
In late January 1916, President H.M. Nichols and Secretary R.W. Hall of the Weldon Commercial Club submitted an application for registering the Chariton and Leon Short Line route. Thomas MacDonald, chief engineer of the Iowa State Highway Commission (ISHC), acknowledged the applicant’s request for registration and sent county maps for Lucas, Decatur and Clarke counties, on which Nichols was asked to trace the proposed route. Upon receipt of the traced maps, and without hesitation by the ISHC, the registration certificate was mailed soon thereafter.