You need to upgrade your Flash Player
Download the most recent Flash plugin here.
back

34th Infantry Division Highway


Special Route and Bridge DesignationsU.S. 34 in the state of Iowa is officially designated the Red Bull Highway in honor of the 34th Infantry (Red Bull) Division.

The 34th Infantry Division is a division of the United States Army National Guard that participated in World War I, World War II and continues to serve today, with most of the Division part of the Minnesota and Iowa Army National Guard. It holds the distinctions of being the first U.S. division deployed to Europe in World War II, and having spent more days in combat and having taken more enemy-defended hills than any other U.S. Army division in that war.

The 34th Infantry Division was inactivated on November 3, 1945. The division was reformed within the Iowa and Nebraska Army National Guards in 1946-7, but it disbanded again in 1963, being replaced in part by the 67th Infantry Brigade. It also retained its division headquarters as a command headquarters to supervise training of combat and support units in the former division area for some years.

The division was reactivated as a National Guard division for Minnesota and Iowa on February 10, 1991, upon the 50th anniversary of its federal activation for World War II. At that point the division transitioned into a medium division, with a required strength of 18,062 soldiers. The division's force structure was spread across seven states (Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan).

The division was one of the first National Guard divisions to transform its component units to the new combat brigade structure. In 2005, it was ranked 1st out of eight National Guard divisions with regard to readiness indicators. The majority of the division's current 11,000 soldiers are located across two states - Minnesota and Iowa. The Minnesota Army National Guard provides the division headquarters, located in Rosemount, a southern suburb of the Twin Cities.

The 1st Brigade Combat Team of the 34th Infantry Division served sixteen months in southern Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Due to the combat subdued version of the division patch they wear, they were nicknamed "The Desert Bulls".

The United States Army Rangers also trace their lineage back to the 34th Division. The modern incarnation of the Rangers were developed from 34th Infantry volunteers in Ireland under the command of Major William O. Darby. Of the original five hundred twenty WWII Rangers, two hundred eighty one came from the 34th Infantry Division.

Minnesota Army National Guard, headquarters of the 34th Infantry Red Bull Division.

34th Infantry Division Association

History of the 34th Infantry Division

            Baker Bridge (Interstate 280 bridge)


            Special Route and Bridge DesignationsBridge dedication - On July 31, 2010, the Interstate 280 bridge connecting Iowa and Illinois was dedicated and renamed the Baker Bridge in honor of Medal of Honor recipient John F. Baker Jr.

            Many recipients of the nation's highest military honor have roadways, streets and buildings named after them. But, as of the date of this dedication, Baker was the only Medal of Honor recipient to have a bridge named after him.

            There were oonly 88 living Medal of Honor recipients when the ceremony was held in Rock Island. The Medal of Honor is awarded by Congress for risk of life in combat beyond the call of duty. Baker's Medal of Honor citation credits him with "selfless heroism, indomitable fighting spirit and extraordinary gallantry" in saving the lives of fellow soldiers while his company was under intense enemy fire on Nov. 5, 1966. Baker is credited with knocking out several enemy bunkers and killing four Viet Cong snipers.

            At the time of the ceremony, Baker lived in Columbia, S.C., with his wife of 27 years, Donnell. The couple met in Hawaii where Baker was stationed with the Army and she was working for entertainer Don Ho.

            Family friend Col. Drew Meyerowich, who accompanied the Bakers to the dedication said: "He's not a super man, and he's not a star athlete. He's a man who performed extraordinary actions under extraordinary conditions." Three members of Baker's unit who were with him on that fateful day in 1966 also attended the bridge ceremony - Mike Marcukaitis, 64, of Kankakee, Ill.; Tom Donovan, 62, of Oxford, Ohio; and Roger Schoonover, 63, of Waterloo, Iowa.

            Special Route and Bridge DesignationsBiography - John F. Baker Jr. was born Oct. 30, 1945, in Davenport, where he lived for eight years. He then moved to Moline, Ill, and attended the Moline High School from 1963 to 1966, where he was a gymnast. He dropped out of school before graduating to join the Army. Baker spent his career in the Army, retiring in 1989. He is the only Medal of Honor recipient from the Quad Cities.

            Military service record - Baker entered the U.S. Army in Moline, Ill., serving as a private in A Company, 2nd Battalion of the 27th Infantry, 25th Division. In Vietnam, he took part in Operation Attleboro, a search-and-destroy operation, which began in September 1966 . Part of his role in that operation was serving as "tunnel rat", a soldier who enters the Viet Cong-held tunnels searching out the enemy and destroying their weapon and supply caches and ability to fight.

            On Nov. 5, 1966, Baker and his unit were called to assist another squad who were taking enemy fire. En route, A Company began to take fire and lost their lead soldier. Together with two other soldiers, Baker took over the head of the column and assisted in destroying two enemy positions. There were moving to take two others when a hand grenade knocked Baker off his feet. With the two other soldiers wounded, Baker "single handedly" destroyed another bunker before recovering his comrades. Despite taking further fire from enemy bunkers and snipers, Baker continually fell back to replenish ammunition and take back several wounded. For these actions, he was awarded the Medal of Honor, along with Captain Robert F. Foley.

            At a White House ceremony, President Lyndon B. Johnson conferred the award to Baker and Foley. These are the President's remarks: "The battlefield is the scarred and the lonely landscape of man's greatest failure. But is a place where heroes walk. Today we come here to the East Room of the White House to honor two soldiers, two soldiers who—in the same battle and at the same time—met the surpassing tests of their lives with acts of courage far beyond the call of duty. Captain Foley and Sergeant Baker fought in the same company. Now, together, they join the noblest company of them all. They fought because their Nation believed that only by honoring its commitments, and only by denying aggression its conquest, could the conditions of peace be created in Southeast Asia and the world."

            Baker is quoted as having said this about his heroic actions that day: "I just did what I had to do. I was trying to help my fellow soldiers the best I could. We don't win the Medal. We are caretakers of it, and we receive it by doing what we are supposed to do."

            Baker's career in the military eventually lead him to the rank of Master Sergeant.

            Larry Foster of Council Bluffs Parks and Recreation was with the project since its beginning and he told a local newspaper just prior to the bridge's opening that he'd never take the view for granted. "In some ways, this could almost be thought of as the bridge that almost never was," he said.

            Foster said there was serious concern at that time that the original bids came in as to whether the bridge could be built at all. He said his team took a big step back, deciding to spend a whole year to figure out a new way to get the project done. He said the team never lost hope and eventually found the right plan at the right price.

            Foster said a team of architects, engineers and contractors worked together to create a bid for the project. That approach, known as a design-build process, was used for the first time in Nebraska history on the pedestrian bridge.

            A six-member bridge naming committee recommended the structure be named the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. The recommendation was sent to Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey and Council Bluffs Mayor Tom Hanafan, and both city councils approved the name in September 2008.

                      Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge


                      Special Route and Bridge DesignationsThe Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, opened September 28, 2008, and is one of the longest pedestrian bridges ever built. The total length of the bridge is 3,000 feet and the towers carry a unique curved 506-foot main span and two 253-foot back spans.

                      The bridge connects Omaha, Nebraska, and Council Bluffs, Iowa, by traversing the Missouri River It carries walkers and cyclists into 150 miles of trails in Iowa and Nebraska.

                      The bridge is north of the I-480 girder bridge and connects the Port of Omaha's Miller Landing in Omaha to One Renaissance Center in the former Dodge Park Playland in Council Bluffs.

                      The idea for the bridge was first brought up in 1997 and grew out of former U.S. Sen. Bob Kerrey's "Back-to-the-River" efforts. The bridge is intended to redefine the area's skyline and symbolize the cooperation between Omaha and Council Bluffs.

                      The cable-stayed bridge offers a powerful visual impact as is designed to look like giant sails. The bridge's dramatic look comes from single-tower pylons, standing above the water on both sides of the Missouri River that give the superstructure a simple elegance and opportunity for dramatic lighting.

                      The lights on the bridge were donated by The Gallup Organization, who have a training facility located on the Missouri River near the Omaha landing of the bridge. The bridge lights include programmable controls that can display multiple colors in the large lights at the top of the towers and control the brightness and timing of the lights that run the entire 3000 ft. length of the bridge. The lights were officially unveiled in a ceremony on September 13, 2008. The bridge lights were turned on while the Phil Collins song "In The Air Tonight" was played over a PA system. The event was accompanied by fireworks.

                      The bridge's deck features a constant, unobstructed width of 15-feet over the entire length of the bridge, widening out to 20-feet on the Omaha landing so that there is enough width for both cyclists and pedestrians to comfortably share the path. The structure and its connections are ADA compliant to ensure that everyone can enjoy it.

                      The $22 million project was largely funded by a $17 million federal transportation grant secured by Senator Bob Kerrey in 2000. Other funding came private donations, including $1 million each from The Peter Kiewit Foundation and Iowa West Foundation, a $1.7 million federal planning grant, $1 million from the Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District, and $1.5 million each from the states of Nebraska and Iowa.

                      Special Route and Bridge DesignationsConstruction of the bridge was not without its challenges. The bridge was first designed by the Omaha-based architect firm Bahr Vermeer & Haecker. When originally let in 2004, the apparent low bid for the $22.6 million dollar project was $44.9 million. After the bids are formally rejected, it was concluded that the proposed design would cost $45 million to $50 million build. Strapped for funds, the city was forced back to the drawing board to come up with an affordable design.

                      In May 2006, a final cable-stayed bridge design by Kansas City engineering and architectural firm HNTB was selected for the bridge. The $22 million bid included two 200-foot towers and a clearance of 52 feet above the river. Groundbreaking for construction of the bridge occurred on October 26, 2006.

                      Larry Foster of Council Bluffs Parks and Recreation was with the project since its beginning and he told a local newspaper just prior to the bridge's opening that he'd never take the view for granted. "In some ways, this could almost be thought of as the bridge that almost never was," he said.

                      Foster said there was serious concern at that time that the original bids came in as to whether the bridge could be built at all. He said his team took a big step back, deciding to spend a whole year to figure out a new way to get the project done. He said the team never lost hope and eventually found the right plan at the right price.

                      Foster said a team of architects, engineers and contractors worked together to create a bid for the project. That approach, known as a design-build process, was used for the first time in Nebraska history on the pedestrian bridge.

                      A six-member bridge naming committee recommended the structure be named the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. The recommendation was sent to Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey and Council Bluffs Mayor Tom Hanafan, and both city councils approved the name in September 2008.

                      Special Route and Bridge DesignationsJoseph Robert "Bob" Kerrey was born in Lincoln, Lancaster County Nebraska, born August 27, 1943; attended the Lincoln public schools, including Lincoln Northeast High School; graduated from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 1966, with a degree in pharmacy; during his senior year at Nebraska he was a member of the Society of Innocents, the chancellor's senor honorary; served in the United States Navy SEAL special forces unit, 1966-1969; wounded in Vietnam, losing the lower part of one leg in combat, and awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life"; operated a chain of restaurants and fitness centers 1972-1982; Governor of Nebraska 1983-1987; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 1988; unsuccessful candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1992; reelected in 1994, and served from January 3, 1989, to January 3, 2001; was not a candidate for reelection in 2000; chairman, Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (One Hundred Fourth Congress); president, New School University, New York City, since 2001; member, National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon the United States (9-11 Commission) 2003-2004.

                      Senator Kerrey was known by political observers for his independence, candor and tireless determination. While in Congress, Senator Kerrey served on the Finance Committee, Agricultural Committee and Appropriations Committee, and was vice chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

                                Dragoon Trail


                                Fort Dodge to Stratford

                                Special Route and Bridge Designations Starting at the Fort Museum in Fort Dodge: Kenyon Road; Avenue C; Avenue B; Dewey Place; Lainson Avenue; Riverside Trail; Webster County Road P-59; Webster County Road D-33 through Dolliver Memorial State Park; the former Iowa 50 to Lehigh; Webster County Road P-73; gravel roads (320th Street, McGuire Bend Road, 320th Street again, and Washington Avenue); Webster County Road D-54.

                                • Alternate: between Otho and Lehigh: Webster County Road D-33; Webster County Road P-59; and the former Iowa 50

                                • Alternate: connecting the two branches: Webster County Road D-46 between the former Iowa 50 in Lehigh and Big Bear Road in Hamilton County

                                • Alternate: south of Lehigh: Webster County Roads P-73 and Webster D-54 between 320th Street and Washington Avenue (The mainline runs closer to the Des Moines River, but the alternate is paved.)

                                • Alternate: along the Des Moines River (entirely gravel): 340th Street; Skillet Creek Avenue; River Road from Webster County Road D-54 to Iowa 175 west of the Des Moines River bridge.

                                Webster City to Stratford

                                Superior Street in Webster City; Iowa 17; 280th Street (gravel); Hamilton County Road R27; 320th Street (gravel); Bell's Mill Road (gravel); Hamilton County Road D46; Big Bear Road (gravel); Hamilton County Road R21.

                                • Alternate: Closz Drive in Webster City; Inkpaduta Avenue (gravel); 258th Street (gravel); Hamilton County Road R-27 between Iowa 17 and Hamilton County Road D-46

                                Stratford to Boone

                                Hamilton County Road D-54; Iowa 175; gravel roads (River Road, 394th Street, 396th Street, and Vasse Avenue) in southern Webster County; gravel roads (Juniper Road, 118th Street and J Avenue) in northern Boone County; Boone County Road E-18; gravel Juniper Road north of Fraser; Kale Road in Fraser; gravel 156th Street and 166th Drive out of Fraser; Boone County Roads R-21 and E-26 north of Boone; Story Street in Boone to U.S. 30.

                                • Alternate from Fraser: Kale Road; Boone County Road E-26; gravel roads (188th Road, 192nd Street, J Avenue, 200th Street, Juneberry Road, 208th Street, and J Avenue again); Boone County Road E-41; Boone County Road R-18; and U.S. 30 to the junction with Boone County Road R-23/Story Street in Boone

                                Boone to Des Moines

                                from U.S. 30: Boone County Road R-23 (old Iowa 164) into Ledges State Park; Boone County Road E-52 and a series of gravel roads (P Avenue, 260th Street and Peach Avenue) east of the park; Boone County Road E-57; Boone County Road R-26; Boone County Road E-62; Iowa 210 to Madrid; Iowa 17; former and current Iowa 415 through Polk City; NW 84th Avenue west of Ankeny; NW 37th Street; Horseshoe Drive past the Saylorville Lake Visitors Center; NW 37th Street again; NW Toni Drive; NW 66th Avenue; NW 26th Street; Morningstar Drive to Aurora Avenue on the north edge of Des Moines.

                                Through Des Moines

                                Aurora Avenue; 6th Avenue; Birdland Drive; Saylor Road; Penn Avenue; University Avenue; East 6th Street; Robert D. Ray Drive; Locust Street; Penn Avenue in front of the State Capitol; Grand Avenue; 3rd Street (SB) and 2nd Avenue (NB); Court Avenue and Walnut Street (NB); Water Street across the Raccoon River near the mouth; SE 1st Street across the Des Moines River; Scott Avenue; SE 6th Street; Hartford Avenue; SE 22nd Street; Evergreen Drive; SE 34th Street; and Army Post Road to U.S. 65.

                                • Bus Route: follows Holcomb Avenue and Saylor Road between 6th Street and Penn Avenue instead of Birdland Drive.

                                • Alternate: from the intersection of 2nd and Grand Avenues downtown, it follows Grand westward to 4th Street in West Des Moines; from there it follows 5th Street; Railroad Avenue; Iowa 28; Park Avenue; George Flagg Parkway; Fleur Drive; and Locust Street back to 3rd Avenue.

                                Des Moines to Lake Red Rock:

                                U.S. 65 northward to SE Vandalia Road/Polk County Road F-70; Iowa 316; a series of gravel roads (Dubuque Street, 40th Avenue, Erbe Street, 60th Avenue, Gear Street, and 85th Place) in Marion County; Marion County Road G-40; Iowa 14 across the Mile-Long Bridge over Lake Red Rock; Marion County Road G-28; and Marion County Road T-15 across Red Rock Dam.

                                • Alternate: Iowa 14 southward from County Road G-40 to business Iowa 92 in Knoxville; business and old Iowa 92 east of Knoxville; and County Road T-15. The main and alternate routes both end at the Lake Red Rock Visitors Center at the south end of the dam

                                Government Bridge


                                Special Route and Bridge DesignationsThe Government Bridge, or Arsenal Bridge, spans the Mississippi River connecting Rock Island, Illinois and Davenport, Iowa. It is adjacent to Mississippi River Lock and Dam No. 15.

                                The Government Bridge is the fourth structure to be built at or near its current location. The first bridge, constructed in the early 1850s and located around 1500 feet upstream of the present, was the first bridge to ever span the Mississippi River and played prominent roles in the ramp up to the American Civil War and construction of the First Transcontinental Railroad.

                                The bridge was to connect the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad with the newly created Mississippi and Missouri Railroad proposed by Thomas C. Durant to be the first railroad in Iowa and was to link Davenport, Iowa and Council Bluffs, Iowa. Companies operating steam ships on the Mississippi opposed the bridge fearing that it would pose a navigation hazard and alter their monopoly on trade.

                                Since the bridge crossed an island that was formerly the home of Fort Armstrong, the Department of War had a say in the construction (even though Fort Armstrong had closed in 1845). Future Confederate President Jefferson Davis, who was Secretary of War under President Franklin Pierce, initially approved the bridge thinking that the first transcontinental railroad was going to go through the South to Los Angeles, California. However, as resistance to this plan began surfaced, Davis opposed the bridge fearing that it would result in the transcontinental railroad going through the North. Davis ordered the construction halted, but was ignored. Davis had no success in getting the courts to agree with him and the bridge was built, opening on April 22, 1856.

                                On May 6, 1856, the steamer Effie Afton hit a span on the bridge completely destroying the steamer and one of the spans. Steamboat companies sued to have the bridge dismantled. The M&M and the Rock Island Line hired Abraham Lincoln to defend the bridge. The case was to work its way to the Supreme Court and be decided in the bridge's favor in 1862 during the Civil War. In the meantime, the M&M and Rock Island merged to become the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. Durant took his earnings from the M&M merger to form a new company called the Union Pacific. Lincoln in doing research as private attorney visited the M&M facilities and meet with various M&M officials in Council Bluffs, Iowa. When the Pacific Railroad Act gave Lincoln the power to decide the eastern terminus of transcontinental he picked Council Bluffs as the most favorable to his former clients.

                                The first bridge only lasted until 1866, at which time it was considered inadequate for the ever-increasing loads carried by the railroad. All that remains of the first bridge are two piers on opposite sides of the river. It was replaced by a heavier wooden structure that reused the original piers. This structure was replaced by an iron, twin-deck bridge in 1872 that carried both a single rail line and separate roadway. This bridge was at a new location on the western tip of Arsenal Island, and the original bridge and rail line was abandoned. The relocation was driven by the federal government, who still owned the island and wanted to redevelop it into an arsenal. The original bridge and rail line severed the property in two and this development constraint was removed by relocating the bridge to an extreme end of the island. The federal government jointly used this bridge for access with the railroad, which gave rise to the current name - Government Bridge.he combat subdued version of the division patch they wear, they were nicknamed The Desert Bulls.

                                The current Government Bridge is actually the fourth crossing of the Mississippi in this vicinity, having been built in 1896 on the same location and using the same piers as the 1872 structure. It too is a twin-deck, steel-truss structure that carries both rail and highway traffic, but it increased the rail lines from one to two to ease what had become a rail traffic bottleneck.

                                          Hiawatha Pioneer Trail


                                          Special Route and Bridge DesignationsThis meandering route through Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois was designated in September 1963 at a four-state governors' conference in Amana. The trail in Iowa splits into north and south routes in Toledo before they rejoin in Davenport. Both branches were marked on state highway maps from the mid-1960s through 1975.

                                          The north branch follows:

                                          • U.S. 71 from the Minnesota state line to Spencer

                                          • U.S. 18 from Spencer to near Whittemore

                                          • Iowa 15 and Iowa 3 from near Whittemore to Pocahontas

                                          • Iowa 4, Iowa 7 and business U.S. 169 from Pocahontas to Fort Dodge

                                          • Old U.S. 20 from Fort Dodge to Blairsburg

                                          • U.S. 69 from Blairsburg to Garner

                                          • U.S. 18 from Garner to Charles City

                                          • U.S. 218 from Charles City to Nashua

                                          • Iowa 346 and U.S. 63 from Nashua to New Hampton

                                          • Iowa 24 from New Hampton to Calmar

                                          • U.S. 52 from Calmar to Decorah

                                          • Winneshiek/Allamakee County Road A-52 from Decorah to Waukon

                                          • Iowa 9, Allamakee County Road X-16, Allamakee County Road B-38, and Iowa 51 from Waukon to Postville

                                          • U.S. 18/52 and Iowa 13 from Postville to Strawberry Point

                                          • Iowa 3 and U.S. 52 from Strawberry Point to Bellevue

                                          • Iowa 62 from Bellevue to Maquoketa

                                          • Iowa 64 and Jackson/Jones County Road E-28 from Maquoketa to Anamosa

                                          • U.S. 151 and business U.S. 151 from Anamosa to Cedar Rapids

                                          • 16th Avenue (old U.S. 30) and U.S. 30 from Cedar Rapids to Toledo

                                          • U.S. 63 and U.S. 6 from Toledo to South Amana

                                          • Iowa 220 and U.S. 151 through the Amana Colonies

                                          • U.S. 6 (including the former Iowa 927) from the Amana Colonies to the Illinois state line (there is a branch of the route following Cedar County Road X-30 into West Branch, and there may be other branches as well).

                                                  Julien Dubuque Bridge


                                                  Special Route and Bridge DesignationsThe Julien Dubuque Bridge is a continuous steel-arch truss bridge with a suspended deck that traverses the Mississippi River. It joins the cities of Dubuque, Iowa, and East Dubuque, Illinois.

                                                  This bridge was named after Julien Dubuque, a French Canadian who arrived near what now is known as Dubuque, Iowa (which is also named after him). Dubuque was one of the first white men to settle in the area. He initially received permission from the Fox Native American tribe to mine the lead in 1788. Subsequently, the Spanish confirmed that transaction by giving him a land grant in 1796. Once he had received permission from the Fox to mine lead, Julien Dubuque remained in the area for the rest of his life. He befriended the local Mesquakie Chief Peosta, for whom the nearby town of Peosta, Iowa, is named.

                                                  The Julien Dubuque Bridge is part of the U.S. 20 route, and carries two lanes of traffic and one pedestrian walkway. It is one of two motor vehicle bridges over the Mississippi in the area (the Dubuque-Wisconsin bridge is three miles north and links Dubuque with Wisconsin) and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

                                                  According to the design specifications, the bridge superstructure was constructed with 1,925 tons of silicon steel and 2,292 tons of carbon steel. The approach spans used 3,205 tons of steel. The substructure required 34,087 cubic yards of concrete, 1,232 tons of steel and 2,909 timber piles. The total cost of construction in was $3,175,341.63.

                                                  Its longest span is 845 feet, total length 5,760 feet and width 28 feet. The clearance below the bridge is 64 feet. When built, the 845-foot main span was the second longest over the Mississippi River, fourth longest in the United States and eighth longest in the world.

                                                  The Julien Dubuque Bridge replaced an aging structure known locally as the "High Bridge" or "Wagon Bridge." Construction of the bridge was attributed in part to World War II and the need to facilitate military transportation. In 1942, the first parts of the bridge were begun. In 1943, the bridge was completed.

                                                  The bridge was originally painted gray to help camouflage the bridge in case of enemy attack. It was later repainted a dark green color and stayed that way until the early 1990's, when it was returned to its historic gray color during a renovation.

                                                  Because the bridge was financed with bonds, it was initially operated as a toll bridge. Proceeds were used to help pay off the bonds. In the post-war years, traffic was so heavy that the bonds were paid off 11 years early, and the bridge became toll-free in 1954.

                                                  In the early 1990s, the bridge underwent an extensive renovation. The deck was completely replaced, and a new walkway installed on the bridge.

                                                  Due to congestion on the bridge, the Iowa DOT has developed preliminary plans to build a parallel, two-lane bridge directly to the south of the Julien Dubuque Bridge. Some federal funding has been secured and right of way has been acquired. Construction is contingent upon additional federal funding being received.

                                                            Leo P. Rooff Expressway - U.S. 218 in Waterloo


                                                            Special Route and Bridge DesignationsThe following are excerpts from Rooff's obituary published, January 6, 2004 highlighting his career and noting the reasons for the dedication of this roadway in his name.

                                                                      Former Waterloo Mayor Leo Rooff, one of the longest serving and most respected mayors in the city's history, from 1974 to 1984, guided several projects of lasting benefit to completion for the entire metropolitan area; most notable was the $350 million interstate highway substitution plan under which the entire metro transportation system was reconstructed in the 1980s.

                                                                      Years later, U.S. Highway 218 though Waterloo was renamed the Leo P. Rooff Expressway. The present-day growth of the Cedar Falls Industrial Park is also attributed to Rooff's interstate highway substitution plan.

                                                                      "The DOT poured a lot of money into the road system in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area when Leo was mayor," said Rigler, who chaired the Iowa Department of Transportation Commission when the interstate substitution program funds were awarded. "It made all kinds of sense for Waterloo.

                                                                      "Leo was a great mayor and certainly was good to work with at the DOT," Rigler added. "He's certainly going to be missed and he was a good friend."

                                                                      Cedar Falls Mayor John Crews said the local highway system created through that interstate substitution program will be Rooff's longest-lasting legacy.

                                                                      "It helped the whole area," Crews said. "The infrastructure was upgraded throughout the metro area. We got so many good internal roads in Waterloo and Cedar Falls, but we also got the bike trails started in a really big way and the lakes."

                                                                      Iowa-Illinois Memorial bridges


                                                                      Special Route and Bridge DesignationsThe I-74 bridges in the Quad Cities are officially designated as the Iowa-Illinois Memorial bridges. The oldest bridge was dedicated November 18, 1935, to honor veterans of World War I. In addition, a monument to veterans is located near the footing of the bridge in Bill Glynn Park, which is considered an integral part of the bridge for veterans.

                                                                      The I-74 bridges will eventually be replaced with a new structure. Preliminary planning and design work is underway. The Iowa DOT has already received comments from the public regarding an interest in having the new structure named in honor of our veterans. The I-74 bridges are jointly owned and maintained by the Iowa and Illinois departments of transportation, so any future naming decisions must be jointly made.

                                                                                Lincoln Highway


                                                                                Special Route and Bridge DesignationsIf you travel U.S. 30 across Iowa, you are never very far away from the Lincoln Highway, if not right on top of it. As much as 85 percent of the original highway is still drivable in the Hawkeye State, although some of it is gravel.

                                                                                It is best to have a copy of the book "The Lincoln Highway" by Gregory Franzwa or the Lincoln Highway Association Iowa Chapter's map pack. Both provide detailed maps for each of Iowa's 13 Lincoln Highway counties. The maps specify the original route where accessible. Where the roadway is gone or abandoned, they indicate detours that steer the driver back to the highway's drivable road surface.

                                                                                          MacVicar Freeway


                                                                                          Special Route and Bridge DesignationsOfficially, the name of the Des Moines freeway is "Interstate Highway 235." However, it was designated in the 1960s as the John MacVicar Freeway by the Des Moines City Council. The plan to name the new freeway the John MacVicar Freeway was first suggested in 1958 by the Des Moines Pioneer Club, but gained little support at that time.

                                                                                          The two John MacVicars, father and son, were reportedly the closest thing to a political dynasty Des Moines has ever known. They held city offices at intervals over a period of more than 50 years. The elder MacVicar was mayor from 1896 to 1900, streets commissioner in 1908 to 1912, mayor again in 1916 to 1918 and public safety commissioner in 1922 to 1924.

                                                                                          He was elected mayor again in 1928, but died seven months later. John MacVicar, the younger, was city streets commissioner in 1932 to 1934 and 1936 to 1940, and was mayor from 1942 to 1948. He died in 1950.

                                                                                                    Rider Way Pedestrian Bridge


                                                                                                    Special Route and Bridge DesignationsThe Rider Way pedestrian bridge over I-235 near 44th Street in Des Moines wasofficially dedicated Friday, April 7, 2006. Roosevelt High School and the Iowa Department of Transportation (Iowa DOT) hosted a ceremonial ribbon cutting and plaque unveiling at the north end of the bridge that morning. Invited speakers for the dedication included Des Moines Mayor Frank Cownie, Des Moines Councilwoman Christine Hensley, Roosevelt High School students, and Iowa DOT officials. The ceremonial ribbon was cut by the 2006 Roosevelt Hall of Fame inductees. Also performing at the ceremony was the Roosevelt High School drum line and concert band.

                                                                                                    The name for the bridge, Rider Way, was selected as the winning entry in a bridge-naming contest sponsored by the Iowa DOT. The winning name was nominated by several classes, and represents the Roosevelt High School's motto, "Respect and Responsibility - It's the Rider Way."

                                                                                                    The Rider Way Bridge is one of three pedestrian bridges built as part of the I-235 reconstruction project and showcases some of the aesthetic design elements incorporated in the corridor. The bridge replaced an existing bridge, and connects the neighborhood south of the freeway with Roosevelt High School and the neighborhood north of the freeway.