Iowa's temporary restricted license (TRL) - work permitIf you are a resident of Iowa and your Iowa driver's license has been revoked, suspended or barred, you may be eligible for a temporary restricted license (TRL) allowing you to drive for specific reasons and during specified times.
You can apply for a temporary restricted license for the following.
- Employment (work permit)
- Health care - for you or a dependent
- Child care
- Continuing education
- Substance abuse treatment
- Court-ordered community service
- Probation or parole officer appointments
To apply for a temporary restricted license, you will need to complete an Application for Temporary Restricted License. If you meet all requirements, you will be sent a notice that your application has been approved. You must then take the notice to a DOT driver's license station where you may be required to:
- Pass all required examinations (vision, written and/or driving test)
- Pay any civil penalties
- File proof of financial responsibility
- Pay a $20 reinstatement fee
- If your Iowa driving privileges have been revoked for operating while intoxicated (OWI), you will have to complete all requirements of Iowa's OWI law, including possible installation of an ignition interlock device.
For complete information regarding your eligibility for a temporary restricted license, contact:
Office of Driver Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204
Telephone: 515-244-9124 or 515-244-8725
Toll-free in Iowa: 800-532-1121